New Hashtag: #plussizeplease

20140416-082720.jpgHow often have you been shopping and you come across something that is just PERFECT, but does not go up to your size?  Over 60% of American women wear a size 14 or above, but only 17% of clothing sold is 14 & up.  That is a ridiculous disparity.

Moreover, when some brands move into plus (ahem H&M), they throw their signature trendy looks by the wayside in favor of flowy dark fabrics that they think “work” for plus sizes.  That is crap.  Plus size women want color, print, and structure.  Moreover, we want variety.  A group this numerous cannot be a monolith, and since style is such a personal thing, we all have different tastes.  I want #plussizeplease to be a way to showcase the demand for styles we’d buy and rock, and all the money brands are forfeiting by refusing to expand their sizes.

So here’s how to use it:

1)  Snap a picture of a garment you love but does not come in your size.  Include the brand and price, tagging the company if possible.  For example, I am in love with this Zara marble print dress.  I would have purchased it yesterday if it went above a size L.  My tweet would be:

.@Zara marble print sheath, $59. I’d buy it right now if it came in my size.  #plussizeplease

2)  Use it on any social media – Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest… even Facebook supports hashtags now.

3)  Tag anything you’d purchase, whether in store or online.

4)  Feel free to include the size range it comes in and/or the size you think you’d need.  Sizing can be tricky, so this is definitely not required.

5)  Tell your friends!  I don’t just want this to be a blogger thing – I want all women who wear size 14 and up to show their purchasing power and share styles they love.  Let’s be unignorable!

Manhattanite, body positive fashion blogger, & Associate Fashion Editor at Plus Model Magazine

Comments (21)

1. This is completely inspiring and one of the things I love about you so much. You’re using your voice for positive change and I think that rocks. I will definitely participate as soon as I find something I want!

2. Bravo on such a creative idea that can reach so many! You’ve gained a new fan via Curvy Fashionista’s -repost of this awesome idea!

3. This is awesome! I am so with you on this.

4. #plussizeplease : )

5. Pingback: #plussizeplease: Zeigen wir Designern, was wir kaufen wollen.

6. Are you kidding me?
    I usually skip over these types of posts.
    However, today I choose not to. This
    is a FASHION BLOG! The tone in your post is pretty judgmental. Just
    because people enjoy fashion and beauty does NOT mean we are materialistic!
    I work hard for my money and this is an outlet for me. Reading fashion and beauty blogs (and
    watching videos) are a way for me to unwind at the end of the day. It’s no different than reading a fashion
    magazine. Actually, it is better because
    you can interact. I’ve met some really nice and inspiring people online. If you feel that America is so unhealthy,
    then start your own blog about it. This
    is not the place for it.

7. It was me that posted below but it was acting funny! I was not trying to post as a guest!

8. I think this is a great idea!

1. Thank you Vicky. I deleted the other comment you replied to because that person was attacking my readers, but I appreciate what you said in response as well. There is no place for concern trolling on my blog, however, so I removed the thread to keep the focus on body positivity 🙂

1. I totally understand! Usually, I don’t say anything but it got me in a mood. You rock! =)

9. Pingback: PMM Exclusive Interview: Sarah From CurvilyFashion.com Talks About The #plussizeplease Movement & More - PLUS Model Mag

10. Love it – great way to let designers and manufacturers know what plus size women are looking for

11. Please see my Pinterest for (Joe Vowles) showing photos of stylish plus size clothing under (things for my wife to ware) & (wife summer clothes) I love to buy stylish clothing for my wife, but so hard to find. Someone is missing the market on this.

12. Pingback: OOTD: LBD + Chelsea Boots | Curvily

13. Pingback: OOTD: A Sack Dress With Shape | Curvily

14. Pingback: OOTD: Downtown Fringe | Curvily

15. I love, love, love this idea, and I’m going to make it a point to start doing this. I love shopping for clothes, but I hate the fact that most stores don’t carry my size (26/28), or if they do it’s only online where I can’t try it on. My staple stores, such as Lane Bryant, still do a good job, but I’d love a variety of brands in my closet – brands like NorthFace, for example. I’ve been very pleased with Talbots expanding their plus-size line, but places like Anthropologie, with their non-existent plus sizes, and Nordstrom and Dillard’s, with their often hideous prints and tent-like cuts, need to step up their game! This is a great way to let them know that we’re ready to give them our money for beautiful, well-fitting clothes.

16. Pingback: #PlusSizePlease – Uma hashtag a favor da moda plus size - Fashion Bubbles - Moda como Arte, Cultura e Estilo de VidaFashion Bubbles – Moda como Arte, Cultura e Estilo de Vida

17. Pingback: #PlusSizePlease Is On A Mission To Change The Fashion Industry | StyleBlazer

18. Pingback: This Hashtag Is On A Mission To Change The Fashion Industry | On The Scene NY